Frequently Asked Questions

  • Are there tracks for the Energy Minor?   No.  We accept a wide variety of electives that include courses on renewable energy, fossil fuels, nuclear energy, and general topics. 
  • How many credit hours can be double-counted for my degree?  You can double-count up to 9 credit hours.  The remaining 9 credit hours can come from free electives and other courses. 
  • When should I declare the Minor?  We recommend declaring the Minor as soon as you decide you want to pursue it.  This ensures you get the courses you need to complete the Minor before graduation. 
  • How can I learn more about energy issues at Mines?  Write to Dr. Hancock ( to be added to the Energy Minor email list.  You do not have to declare the Minor to join the list.